Passing the torch (or, perhaps more appropriately, the lightsaber) over to new writers, directors, and actors couldn’t have been easy for Star Wars creator George Lucas. Which makes what he thinks about the current trilogy’s installments all the more significant. If he likes it, it’s something of a a stamp of approval; but if he doesn’t, it has to feel massively disappointing.
As it turns out, Lucas has already caught the hotly anticipated The Last Jedi in theaters and dished up his short but sweet reaction to The Hollywood Reporter. Well, through his representative Connie Wethington, anyway, who told the outlet that Lucas thought the film was “beautifully made.” She added that Lucas spoke with The Last Jedi writer-director Rian Johnson after watching the movie, and was “complimentary” towards him.
Even though the words didn’t come directly from Lucas’ mouth, the remarks are high praise from the man whom without, we wouldn’t even have Star Wars.
Despite Lucas not having a hand in the new collection of films, an involvement that stopped when Disney bought Lucasfilm for a whopping $4.05 billion back in 2012, he appears to approve of where they are going. He previously told Vulture around the time The Force Awakens was starting to roll out in cinemas that “fans are going to love it,” and that it is “very much the kind of movie they’ve been looking for.” Many took that as sounding like “what you’d expect an ex to say at their former spouse’s wedding,” given that he didn’t mention what he thought of the film. The fact that Lucas had a more personal reaction to The Last Jedi is promising.
You can decide for yourself whether you agree or disagree with Lucas when Star Wars: The Last Jedi arrives on December 15.